Tuesday, June 12, 2007

A Quick Return

It's unfortunate we're already back at Jen's home. We arrived last Friday.

I knew her back was bothering her, but she was writing and didn't act like it bothered her too much. Then?

Last Wednesday she woke up hurting so badly. I felt helpless being unable to do anything for her. She made a few phone calls, got an appointment with what she called a chiropractor, and seemed to be feeling better later that day.

It all went to hell very quickly after that.

She went to that chiropractor again Thursday then to a different doctor. They decided she had a back sprain "in the lumbar area," which I am told means the lower back. She cried for over an hour that night. Not little silent tears. Wracking sobs that make you wish to the heavens you could do something, anything.

(If she knew I was telling you all this, it probably wouldn't get posted.)

She has been on "meds" since then and is slowly getting better. Her mother brought us home on Friday. She's been in bed pretty much since then. Today she got our work off of the small computer she used in Eureka Springs and moved it to her computer at her desk. She is at least thinking of my story again.

I can't fault her for not doing anything on it between now and then. I've seen her at her worst. She said it's the worst she has ever hurt in her life. I believe it. I'm going to give her a couple more days before I start insisting on anything to see how she is doing.

A seirc.

2 comments:

thewriterslife said...

Oh, man, that's awful, Devon! I knew she was silent in the group, but I knew she wasn't feeling well. But, man, this is awful. Tell her I hope she feels better, will you? Thanks, hon!

Devon said...

She can sit for only a little bit at a time. Someone (not me, I assure you, I rather like my head where it is) suggested she could use the laptop in bed, but there are a couple things to think about with that.

1) Her "Internet" connection won't reach.

2) With the "meds" she's been on, I don't think we want to try and figure out what she says when they start to work.

I will pass along your well-wishes.

A seirc.
Devon